About the Data...

"I have the data. Even the prospectively collected data, I do have 'em all in my coffer. Now all I need do is to inquire all I can. And sure thing, there would be some answers....But hey, before getting too fixated on that, pause a bit."

These seem like the thought running through my mind as I listened to AQ today. "...let the science drive the data and not the other way around", I think I heard him say - perhaps unknowingly seeming to sound a caution note. I couldn't agree any less. Being fixated on the data undermines thorough rational consideration of the many tiny bits of evidences (often from prior studies) that aid the construction of a well thought out hypothesis. One to be logically proven or otherwise refuted by an empirical process. An ill-planned data-driven exploration may show what is, but may fail to address what leads to what. It seems for a more complete utility of the "available" and "yet-to-be-derived" data, giving considerable thoughts to what had previously been done may yield more favorable returns.

Ha! Not too fast. Perhaps the data provides the first unbiased evidence. Perhaps it would provide a new insight potentially to be concealed if the selves' judgement is clouded with a priori notions. Perhaps new knowledge of a true state...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Archive] Henri Nouwen's Solitude, Community & Ministry Essay Review

Something about Learning a New Thing

Days Like These...