Days After the Election

It was election day. Office mood seemed a bit cheerful and anticipatory. Many anticipated an election victory for their preferred candidate. Cheerfully L asked, "did you vote"? "No, I get to wait a few more years before I can", I replied. "That's unfair! She interjected. "You do pay your taxes but someone who has failed to pay his in many years is contesting for the highest office", she continued. For some others, the feeling of apprehension was almost very well written across their faces. Someone like R who'd said "it's too close for comfort" in response to my question of how he was doing. He appeared visibly invested on the outcome of the day. He had hopes his candidate would win, but results from polls projected a close race with not a clear-cut winner. However for the most part, work went as usual for the day. Like many a citizen, non-citizen national and others, I returned home to find a place around a live and near real-time telecast of the election results.

At our regular meeting the day after, we spent a couple minutes just discussing the election -- hearing perceptions and thoughts of how it went. Therein, some what could, and could have not, disappointments, joy, and the in-between feelings were shared. Thereafter, I sat with Dr. X and heard him share why he is glad about the election outcome. Though didn't absolutely agree with some reasons, hearing him out afforded me his rationale. Appealing to his known background, I inquired about his position on guns (since he had mentioned it). From what he shared, no doubt I got to know him even more than I thought I knew. Through our conversation, no way did I think and will think of him any less than I had always -- I still see him as a kind, articulate, great person and a wonderful friend.

Checking up with R, I could perceive he was hurting and in pains. "Hey, how're you doing"? I asked. "It hurts, really bad. It'll take another four years to get over this". He responded. It wasn't pleasant seeing a previously almost always cheerful R feeling downcast. I pray to be of help in the days ahead. I thought I needed to checkup with M as well. He is a die-hard "Indians" fan who only had recently lost a keenly contested World Series finals to the "Cubs". It might be a really difficulty to swallow pill should his favorite candidate have lost. I thought. Good enough, he was not as invested in the election result. He had neither of the two leading party candidate as a favorite. I haven't seen L since after the election to know how she feels. I suspect she'll be really sore. I was told she took the day off yesterday.

Giving the highly polarized election result, there could not be a more resounding call to a better union. A high call to unity. A call to more radically love, care, and be compassionate to not only a brethren but every other. A call to not only be heard but seek to hear. A call to share not only ours but those of others -- their views, their perspectives. A call to imagine being in the opposition's shoes; discussing, engaging, constructively debating, desisting from unjust labeling, gently persuading, and not being offended when opposed -- perhaps to discover what one had never considered. In our churches, schools, community gatherings, our social and day-to-day interactions, we need to speak and work towards these ideals. It's a difficult task one might think. Being difficult does not equate not attainable. For as high as the challenge, so is the inherent work and benefit of a more successful amalgamation - a societal goal. Oftentimes I feel this rhetorics have become a trite. If only we could put into action a few of what we know. If only we could muster the courage to abide by ideals we preach and hold as eternal, working towards a future we envisage beyond those articulated in the pages of the books and deeds of creation of this great nation we call home.

Lest we forget, God is the builder of a nation. Like Abraham, we can look "...forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God" (Heb 11:10). And except He "...builds the city, the builders build in vain..." (Psalms 127:1). Putting in all our human efforts to attain the ideals we so seek isn't enough but putting all of our trust in Him is rest-assuring. He is the master builder.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Archive] Henri Nouwen's Solitude, Community & Ministry Essay Review

Something about Learning a New Thing

Days Like These...